Sunday 8 August 2010

Consider yourself one of my best friends

You know how there's always that friend you're not really friends with?

Yeah, I've got one of those. Honestly, I don't believe I've ever been without one since being twelve/thirteen years old, that was when the corruption of the Regina George alike secondary school girls began. We were all Cady's at one point, and some morphed into Regina's. I was a Gretchen. Desperate to be liked and loved, and couldn't understand why people would hate me. Ever so slightly conceited, I know, but I shed that skin after a year or so.

But back to the friend you're not really friends with. The friends I have at the moment are probably some of the best I've had in my short life. I don't know if it's because we've just grown up or because we genuinely like each other, but there's less bitching. Way less bitching. To be honest, the only one that gets bitched about is Beau, and that's not so often. That mainly comes around after we've been sitting in Yates for two hours waiting for her grand arrival, only to have her disappear somewhere between there and Babylon.

Basically, Beau is the friend we're not really friends with. She's quite flaky, and flits in and out of everything. She's very much a fair weather friend, coming and going as and when she pleases. It sounds awful, but she's the friend we're not really friends with because of this. That, and the negative effect she has over everyone. Beau would be a less severe Regina in our world.

But the rest of us are just, us. I was done being a Gretchen a long, long time ago.